SEAHAWK BASEBALL RESULTS
Salve Regina 12, Johnson & Wales 5
Newport, R.I. - Reynolds Field
Tuesday, April 18, 2017
NEWPORT, R.I. - The #17/21 Salve Regina University baseball team used an eight run eighth inning to extend its winning streak to nine games in a 12-5 comeback victory over Johnson & Wales in non-conference action.
Series and Streaks
This was the 32nd meeting between Salve Regina and Johnson & Wales. The Seahawks now own a 21-10-1 record in the all-time series and have won 13 in a row over the Wildcats.
Three Stars of the Day
- Salve Regina junior John Militano (Miller Place, N.Y.) - went 3-for-5 while driving in two runs, scoring once, and stealing a base.
- Salve Regina senior Frank Lemieux (Marshfield, Mass.) - pitched two scoreless innings and struck out two to pick up the win (2-0).
- Salve Regina junior Christian Vargas (Melbourne, Fla.) - went 3-for-4 with two hits, a solo homer, his third of the season to lead the Seahawks, two RBI, and a run scored.
The Seahawks scored eight runs on seven hits to go from down one (4-5) to up seven (12-5) in the eighth inning. A walk and back-to-back bunts loaded the bases followed by successive hits, a single, double, and single from Alex Perry (No. Attleboro, Mass.), Zack Smith (New Cannan, Conn.), and Dylan Ketch (Clinton, Conn.) to take the lead 8-5. The Seahawks drew two more walks off of relief pitcher Rich Marshall (Pawtucket, R.I.) to bring in two more runs, before an error brought in the eighth and final run of the inning that swung the game.
- The victory marked the 100 in the career of head coach Eric Cirella, in his fourth season at the helm of the program.
- The Wildcats led the game 3-0 in the top of the first. Lou Umberto (Cranston, R.I.) drove in Rob Ballinger (South Kingston, R.I.) with a double. Then Edison Mercado (Providence, R.I.) and Ryan Cabral (Scituate, R.I.) reached on fielder's choices which scored Umberto and Dave Matthews (Newton, Conn.) to jump out to an early lead.
- Salve Regina scored the next four runs to take the lead in the third, but went scoreless for the next four innings before the eight run explosion in the eighth.
- Zach Dionne (Tolland, Conn.) took a no decision in four innings pitched, giving up three runs on three hits, walking four and striking out six.
- The Wildcats got 4.1 innings out of James Smiegocki (Lambertville, N.J.) who also took a no decision giving up four runs on eight hits, walking four and striking out three.
- Brandon Budlong (Cranston, R.I.) (3-3) took the loss for the Wildcats. Going two and two-thirds innings, allowing six runs on six hits, walking one, and striking out two.
Salve Regina (22-4) – Wednesday, April 19 vs Worcester St., 3:30 p.m.
Johnson & Wales (13-13) – Thursday, April 20 vs Wentworth, 3:30 p.m.