WORCESTER, Mass. – Worcester State University's sophomore forward, Olivia Antonelli (Westford, Mass.) scored the game-winning goal in the 65th minute and assisted the other to lead the Lancers to a 2-1 victory over Salve Regina in a Thursday evening matchup.
September 7, 2017
Score: Worcester State 2, Salve Regina 1
Records: Worcester State (1-1) | Salve Regina (1-1)
After back-and-forth play by each team in the first half, Worcester State finally broke through in the 32nd minute when Antonelli found the ball at the top of the shooting circle and passed forward to Michaila Parent (Westborough, Mass.) who sliced the ball into the back of the cage for the 1-0 go-ahead.
Salve Regina knotted the score at 1-1 midway through the second stanza when Taylor Bulis (Lakeville, Mass.) fired two back-to-back shots at the goal from the left side. The first shot hit the left post and then following a scramble in front of the goal, Bulis found a second stick on the ball and fired it past Worcester State's netminder, Kathryn Salemme (Boxborough, Mass.) for her first goal of the season.
Worcester State didn't take the lead again until there was five minutes remaining of regulation. Worcester State's Rachel Hopkins (Chelmsford, Mass.) tallied her first career assist as she pass forward to Antonelli who slid the ball past Salve's goaltender, Jessie Severino (Branford, Conn.).
Salve Regina made a run for it with two minutes remaining when they saw three back-to-back penalty corners. However, they were unable to capitalize on the three opportunities and Worcester State cleared the ball out of the Seahawks' scoring zone, resulting in a 2-1 score in favor of the Blue and Gold.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Antonelli picked up three points in the win (one goal, one assist)
- Worcester State outshot Salve Regina by a 12-9 margin (8-5 in the second half alone).
- Salve Regina held the edge in penalty corners 5-2.
- Worcester State posted a .666 shot on goal percentage, while Salve Regina marked a .555 shot on goal percentage.
- In goal, Salemme earned her first win of the season, turning away four of five shots on goal. For the Seahwaks, Severino tallied six saves in the loss.
- Worcester State earned their second consecutive win over Salve Regina as they defeated them by a score of 4-1 last season.
The Blue and Gold's next game is scheduled for Saturday, SepT. 9, when they will travel to Keene State for a 1:30 p.m. game. Salve Regina resumes play on the same date when it travels to Rhode Island College for a 1 p.m. matchup.