SEAHAWK FIELD HOCKEY RESULTS
Salve Regina 8, Elms 0
Middletown, R.I. - Gaudet Field
Sunday, October 1, 2017
The Salve Regina University field hockey team earned their first shutout of the season with an 8-0 victory over visiting Elms College on Sunday.
Series and Streaks
This was the first ever meeting between the two teams and the Seahawks now take a 1-0 lead in the series.
Three Stars of the Game
- Salve Regina sophomore Ashley Cody (Pawling, N.Y.) scored three times, her first career hat-trick.
- Salve Regina freshman Taylor Bulis (Lakeville, Mass.) scored twice.
- Elms junior Jillian Lapponese (Enfield, Conn.) made 18 saves in net while under heavy pressure the whole afternoon.
Key Stat of the Game
The Seahawks outshot the Blazers 44-4, and 29-3 in shots on goal.
The Seahawks were controlling the game, but only led 1-0 in the later stages of the first half. However back to back goals from Tori Bickel (Harleysville, Pa.) and Bulis in the 23rd and the second tally of the day from Ashley Cody in the 34th broke open the game.
- This was the first shutout of the season for Salve Regina, who had held opponents to one point in three other contests.
- The Blazers had a chance in the games final minute to breakup the shutout, but sophomore keeper Ally Daly (Peabody, Mass.) made a sliding save five yards out from her crease to stop a fast break and preserve the 8-0 score.
- Jessie Severino (Branford, Conn.) got the start in goal for the Seahawks seeing 44:45 of action without facing a single shot.
Salve Regina (6-3, 4-1 CCC) - travels to face the University of New England on Tuesday, October 3 (4 p.m.) in a Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) match.
Elms (2-8, 1-0 NECC) - hosts Westfield State on Wednesday, October 4 (4 p.m.).