SEAHAWK MEN'S BASKETBALL RESULTS
Salve Regina 71, Eastern Nazarene 62
Rodgers Rec. Ctr. - Newport, R.I.
Wednesday, November 29, 2017
NEWPORT, R.I. - Reigning Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) men's basketball Rookie of the Week Cameron Collins (Oakdale, Conn.) led Salve Regina University to a 71-62 victory over Eastern Nazarene College in the league opener for both schools. Collins scored a career-high 18 points on seven of 10 from the floor, added four free throws, six rebounds and a blocked shot. Four other Seahawks reached double-digit points including starters Isaiah Bowman (Roxbury, Mass.), Kevin Kelly (Valhalla, N.Y.), and Rodney Morton (Malden, Mass.); Stephen Natola (Exeter, N.H.) came off the bench to score 10 points. Josh Rice (Hanson, Mass.) came off the bench to lead the Lions in scoring with 13 points and rebounding with nine boards.
Series and Streaks
Salve Regina leads the all-time series, 27-22, and ends Eastern Nazarene's four-game win streak at the Rodgers Recreation Center. The teams split last year's regular-season meetings with each winning on the other's court.
Three Stars of the Game
- Salve Regina freshman Cameron Collins (Oakdale, Conn.) scored a game-high 18 points on seven of 10 shooting from the floor. He went four for seven from the charity stripe and grabbed six rebounds.
- Eastern Nazarene sophomore Josh Rice (Hanson, Mass.) led the Lions in scoring (13 points) and rebounding (nine boards) in a reserve role.
- Salve Regina junior Isaiah Bowman (Roxbury, Mass.) scored 12 points on four of eight from the field including a pair of treys; he swished both free-throw attempts.
Key Stat of the Game
The Lions committed 20 turnovers and had four fewer field goal attempts than the Seahawks (51-47); Salve Regina made four more field goals and one more free throw than Eastern Nazarene. Salve Regina scored 20 points off turnovers.
An 11-0 run for the Seahawks in the first half (10:24 down to 8:00) featured two treys from Stephen Natola, another 3-pointer from Isaiah Bowman, and a mid-range jumper for Rodney Morton. Salve Regina had trailed by two, 16-14, but led the rest of the way.
- Kevin Mannix (Barrington, R.I.) led the Seahawks in rebounding (eight).
- Salve Regina held its largest lead (15 points) in the second half, 62-47 with 6:15 remaining.
- Noah Cheney (Bend, Ore.) also reached double-digit points for the visitors, finishing with 10 on three field goals and four free throws.
- Trey'Von Davis (Moore, S.C.) had seven rebounds for the Lions.
- Salve Regina led by 10 at the half (32-22).
Both teams are on the road for more CCC competition as Salve Regina (2-2, 1-0 CCC) travels to Western New England for a 3 p.m. tip-off. Eastern Nazarene (4-2, 0-1 CCC) has a shorter trip to Boston, Mass., to face Wentworth Institute of Technology.