SEAHAWK MEN'S ICE HOCKEY RESULTS
Salve Regina 5, U. of New England 4
Portsmouth, R.I. – Portsmouth Abbey
Saturday, November 12, 2016
Junior forward Joseph Yeadon (Burlington, Mass.) scored his first goal of the season 1:23 into overtime to give the Salve Regina University men's hockey team a 5-4 victory over the University of New England Saturday night in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action.
Series and Streaks
This was the third meeting between the Seahawks and Nor'easters. The Seahawks now own a 2-1 advantage in the all-time series.
Three Stars of the Game
1 – SRU junior Joseph Yeadon - scored the OT game-winner.
2 – UNE sophomore Dylan Bengston (Coral Springs, Fla.) - scored a game-tying goal with 14 seconds left in regulation.
3 – SRU freshman Jack Billings (Oak Lawn, Ill.) - assisted on the first goal of the game for the Seahawks, then added a score of his own in the third period as he continues to pace the Seahawks in points (10).
Key Stat of the Game
The Seahawks held the Nor'easters to 3 of 10 on the powerplay. One of those power-play goals came with an extra attacker in the third period, a 6-on-4 advantage for UNE.
The Seahawks left the line of Pat Thompson (Hellertown, Pa.), James Malone (Beachwood, N.J.), and Joseph Yeadon on the ice for three straight offensive zone draws in overtime. On the third draw, UNE won, but James Malone jumped in between the Nor'easters players, snagging the puck behind the net and centered it for Yeadon, who blasted in the game-winning goal in overtime.
- The Nor'easters scored three straight goals in the second period to take control of the game. Ryan Burr (Toms River, N.J.) and Blaise Healy (Melrose, Mass.) scored back-to-back power-play goals less than two minutes apart, and then Chris Harlow (Falmouth, Mass.) gave the Nor'easters a two goal advantage with his even strength tally at 17:13.
- Salve Regina answered with three straight goals in the third period. The offense was sparked by a powerplay early in the third period. Pat Thompson drew the Seahawks within one 37 seconds into the advantage, then Billings fired in a one-timer for the right wing to tie the game 3-3 two minutes later. Evan Schultz (Durham, N.H.) then added his fourth of the year to give Salve Regina the lead.
- The nor'easters pulled the goalie with 3:15 remaining in the third and on a powerplay. The Seahawks killed off one penalty the faced a second. With 14 seconds left Bengston collected a puck along the right wing boards and skated towards the slot, faking once, then roofing a wrister to tie the game and force the extra frame.
- Blake Wojtala (Trenton, Mich.) improves to 5-1 on the season and made 31 saves while Nor'easter netminder Conor Maloney (Woburn, Mass.) stopped 23 shots in the loss.
- The Nor'easters held a 35-28 advantage in shots. The Seahawks however had the only two shots in overtime.
Salve Regina (5-1-0, 4-0-0 CCC) – Thursday, November 17 at Becker, 7:40 p.m.
U. of New England (1-2-1, 1-2-1 CCC) – Thursday, November 17 at Johnson & Wales, 7 p.m.