SEAHAWK MEN'S ICE HOCKEY RESULTS
Wentworth 3, Salve Regina 2
Portsmouth, R.I. – Portsmouth Abbey
Wednesday, November 30, 2016
The Wentworth men's ice hockey team scored three goals in the second period on its way to a 3-2 victory over Salve Regina University in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action Wednesday night.
Series and Streaks
This was the 31st meeting between the Seahawks and Leopards. The Leopards have now won two straight over the Seahawks and own a 26-4-1 record in the all-time series.
Three Stars of the Game
1 – WIT freshman Kenny Graham (Milton, Mass.) - made 34 saves to earn his first collegiate victory in net.
2 – WIT sophomore Paul Fillipone (Cranston, R.I.) - assisted on the Leopards second goal and netted his own score later in the second. It proved to be the game-winning goal.
3 – SRU freshman Jack Billings (Oak Lawn, Ill.) - scored his fourth goal of the season and continues to lead the Seahawks in point (13).
Key Stat of the Game
The Seahawks only narrowly outshot the Leopards in shots on goal, 36-32, however the Seahawks attempted 89 shots in the game to the Leopards 56. The Seahawks missed the net on 34 shots, and had another 19 blocked by the Leopards, who continually got in front of pucks.
After a scoreless first period the Leopards scored three unanswered goals in the second. The Leopards forced the Seahawks into turning the puck over in their own zone a number of times and that let to many high quality scoring chances.
- CJ Grinnell (Burlington, Mass.) got the scoring started for the Leopards early in the second period. He collected a loose puck at the blue line off a turnover and drove in towards Blake Wojtala (Trenton, Mich.). Wojtala made one save, but Grinnell fired in a rebound for his first collegiate goal, and give the Leopards a 1-0 lead.
- Later in the second period Kyle Lebrun (Bridgewater, Mass.) got his first career goal, poking in a loose puck that had hopped strangely off the end glass and back in front.
- Fillipone capped the scoring run, firing home a point blank shot on a feed from Adam Tracey (Sleepy Hallow, N.Y.).
- To start the third period the Seahawks swapped goaltenders, giving Peter McNamara (Germantown, Md.) his first minutes of the season.
- Brandon Yee (Franklin, Mass.) scored his first goal of the season to give the Seahawks life in the third period with 4:22 remaining. The Seahawks pulled McNamara with 1:45 remaining and had numerous chances, but could not find the equalizer.
- Wojatala takes the loss allowing three goals while stopping 22 shots. McNamara made seven saves in a shutout third period.
- In the previous two meeting between these teams there were 152 minutes of penalties on 42 infractions. Tonight only three infractions occurred. The Seahawks went 0-2 on the powerplay while the Leopards were 0-1 with the man advantage.
- The loss is the Seahawks first in the CCC.
Salve Regina (6-2-1, 5-1-1 CCC) – Saturday, December 3 at Johnson & Wales, 7 p.m.
Wentworth (2-8-0, 2-5-0 CCC) – Saturday, December 3 vs Becker, 3 p.m.