SEAHAWK MEN'S ICE HOCKEY RESULTS
Salve Regina 4, Southern N.H. 1
Walpole, Mass. - Rodman Arena
Sunday, January 8, 2017
Freshman forward Jack Billings (Oak Lawn, Ill.) had a career night for the Salve Regina University men's ice hockey team as it defeated Southern New Hampshire University 4-1 in a non-conference meeting Sunday night.
Series and Streaks
This was the 14th meeting between the Seahawks and Penman. The Penman still own a 7-5-2 record in the all-time series.
Three Stars of the Game
1 – SRU freshman Jack Billings - had a hand in every goal for the Seahawks, tying a career high for assists in a game (3) and setting a new career high for points in a game (4) with his third period powerplay goal. Billings continues to pace the Seahawks with 20 points this season.
2 – SRU sophomore Blake Wojtala (Trenton, Mich.) - stopped 26 shots and allowed just one goal as he continues to rank in the Top 10 Nationally for save percentage. Wojtala currently ranks sixth in the country with a .946 save percentage.
3 – SRU senior Evan Schultz (Durham, N.H.)
Key Stat of the Game
The Seahawks outshot the Penman 45-27, limiting Southern N.H. to single digit shot totals in the second and third period.
The Seahawks scored back-to-back goals in a matter of 16 seconds to break open the game in the second period. The Seahawks led 1-0 in a tight physical game and had dodged some excellent chances by the Penman, but the scoring burst put them up 3-0 and changed the momentum and energy of the game.
- The Penman's only goal of the night came 15 second into a powerplay in the second period. Joe Collins (Mansfield, Mass.) snapped a shot towards the net from the right-wing side and Jay Silvia (Acushnet, Mass.) tipped it in front, redirecting it past the Seahawks netminder for his team leading 10th goal of the season.
- The Penman still had plenty of time left in the game to mount a comeback however they spent most of the third period on the penalty kill and could only manage seven shots on goal in the final frame against a stifling Seahawks defense.
- Jack Billings currently ranks second nationally for points per game by a freshman with a 1.67 points per game mark.
- The Seahawks have now scored 22 third period goals this season, nearly as many goals as they have scored in the first and second periods combined (23).
- Penman goalie Ryan Slatky (Manchester, N.H.) stopped 41 shots while allowing four goals to fall to 9-4-0 on the season between the pipes.
- Neither team was stellar on the powerplay with the Seahawks going 1-for-5 with the man advantage and the Penman 1-for-6.
- The Seahawks are 1-0-1 in neutral site games this season.
Salve Regina (9-2-2, 6-1-1 CCC) – Friday, January 13 at Hobart, 7 p.m.
Southern N.H. (11-5-0, 1-1-0 NE10) – Thursday, January 12 at Becker, 7:40 p.m.