SEAHAWK MEN'S ICE HOCKEY RESULTS
Salve Regina 6, Western New England 1
Portsmouth, R.I. - Portsmouth Abbey
Wednesday, January 18, 2017
The Salve Regina University men's ice hockey team scored two goals in the first 2:39 of the game to jump on top early in a wire-to-wire 6-1 victory over visiting Western New England University in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action.
Series and Streaks
This was the 27th meeting between the teams and the Seahawks have now won eight in a row over the Golden Bears for a 17-9-1 record all-time.
Three Stars of the Game
1 – SRU junior Evan Schmidbauer (San Diego, Calif.) - scored a short-handed goal in the third period and chipped in two assists.
2 – SRU senior Tommy Evangelista (Methuen, Mass.) - notched three assists in the game, a new single game high for his career.
3 – SRU senior Alexander Devine (Hampton, N.H.) - made 24 saves in his first appearance of the season to earn the win. Devine was also credited with an assist, his first career point.
Key Stat of the Game
The Seahawks struck early in every period. Their first goal came 1:08 into the first period, then they scored 40 seconds in to the second period to go up 4-0, before scoring a short-handed goal 20 seconds into the third period to increase their lead to 5-0.
Despite trailing 4-0 the Golden Bears had won the shot battle in the second period and were getting quality scoring chances. They would start the third period on the powerplay in hopes of cutting into the Seahawks lead. However Evan Schmidbauer took a pass in the neutral zone and darted down the left-wing side, cutting to the net after the face-off circle and lifting a backhand shot into the goal for a short-handed score, taking all energy and momentum away from the Golden Bears.
- The Seahawks owned a 46-25 advantage in shots, holding the Golden Bears to just five shots on goal in both the first and third periods.
- Both teams struggled on the power-play, each going 0-3 with the man advantage.
- The Golden Bears lone goal came off a tip in the third period. Eric Szeker (East Falmouth, Mass.) fired a shot towards the net that initially was wide, before Andrew Green (Plainview, N.Y.) tipped it past Devine for the score.
- Shaun Patry (Penfield, N.Y.) scored two goals for the second time in his career for the Seahawks.
- Kevin Gollmer (Flourtown, Pa.) made 40 saves in the losing effort for the Golden Bears.
- The Seahawks had not played at home in 49 days prior to tonight's contest, their last home game being a 3-2 setback against Wentworth on November 30, 2016.
Salve Regina (10-4-2, 7-1-1 CCC) – Saturday, January 21 at Curry, 4:45 p.m.
Western New England (5-9-2, 2-6-1 CCC) – Saturday, January 21 at Johnson & Wales, 2:40 p.m.