SEAHAWK MEN'S ICE HOCKEY RESULTS
Salve Regina 5, Becker 2
Portsmouth, R.I. - Portsmouth Abbey
Saturday, February 4, 2017
Series and Streaks
This was the 20th meeting between Salve Regina and Becker. The all-time series is now tied at 10-10 and the Seahawks have won nine of the last ten meetings.
Three Stars of the Game
1 – Salve Regina junior Pat Thompson (Hellertown, Pa.) - scored twice in the second period to help bring the Seahawks from down 1-0 to leading 2-1.
2 – Salve Regina junior Colin Clapton (Canton, Mass.) - scored twice in the third period to help put the game away for the Seahawks.
3 – Salve Regina sophomore Blake Wojtala (Trenton, Mich.) - stopped 38 shots for a .950 save percentage to improve to 11-7-2 on the season in net.
Key Stat of the Game
The Seahawks held the Hawks to 1-for-7 on the powerplay, including killing off a five minute major in the second period, when the game still hung in the balance.
Trailing 1-0 heading into the second period the Seahawks look to establish themselves quickly, but five seconds in had to go back on the penalty kill. After stopping the third Hawks powerplay of the night the Seahawks got back on the attack. Pat Thompson took a rink-wide pass from Kevin Clare (Chicago, Ill.) and darted over the blue-line on the right side. Thompson then snapped the puck on net from the wing and sailed it past Hawks netminder Tyler Stepke (Mars, Pa.) on the glove side to knot the game 1-1. The Seahawks had even more work to do on the penalty kill in the period, killing off a five minute major, where they generated two short-handed breakaways, before returning to even strength. Shortly thereafter the Seahawks found themselves on a 5-on-3 powerplay and Thompson blasted home a shot from the right-wing side to give the Seahawks their first lead in the game. A lead they would never relinquish.
- Becker took a 1-0 lead 18:56 into the first period when James Wallace (Levittown, Pa.) found the back of the net on a nifty pass from Connor Allison (Hillsboro, Ore.) for his fourth goal of the season.
- Stepke made 48 saves in the game while allowing five goals to fall to 5-12-1 on the season in between the pipes for Becker.
- Corey Sherman (Hilton, N.Y.) added a powerplay late in the third period but it was too late for a Hawks comeback.
- The Seahawks outshot the Hawks 53-40 in the game, doubling up Becker in the second period 22-11.
- The road team had won the last three meetings between these teams until today.
- Salve Regina honored its six seniors before the game with a special pregame ceremony. Parker Bowen, Alexander Devine, Tommy Evangelista, Jonathan Felteau, Nick Owen, and Evan Schultz were all joined by their families on the ice pregame.
Salve Regina (12-7-2, 9-4-1 CCC) – Wednesday, February 8 vs Nichols, 7 p.m.
Becker (5-15-1, 4-9-1 CCC) – Thursday, February 9 vs U. of New England 7:50 p.m.