Seahawks battle Hawks to 1-1 draw

Lecaros delivered the game-tying assist on Wednesday
Lecaros delivered the game-tying assist on Wednesday

NEWPORT, R.I. - The Salve Regina University men's soccer team battled Roger Williams University through two overtime periods to a 1-1 draw at Gaudet Field on a rainy Wednesday night. The Seahawks move to 6-8-2 overall and 2-4-2 during Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action, while the Hawks earn their fifth draw of the year to move to 9-2-5 on the season and 3-1-4 in the conference.

The Hawks got on the board early in the opening half when a loose ball squirted to the feet of RWU sophomore Ben Rondinone (Granby, Conn.) who kicked a laser into the upper left corner of the net from over 25 yards out in the ninth minute of play to give Roger Williams a 1-0 advantage.

The Seahawks scored the equalizer in the 27th minute when freshman Enrique Lecaros (Paterson, N.J.) delivered a beautiful through ball to fellow freshman Zachary Kraft (Tenafly, N.J.) who beat the RWU goalkeeper to the bottom corner to tie the score at 1-all.

The two teams went into the break with the Seahawks holding an 8-6 edge in shots and the Hawks compiling a 4-1 advantage in corners.

Salve Regina controlled most of the action in the second half, outshooting the Hawks 5-2 in the period. The Seahawks had several quality chances, including a header by junior Bobby Ernst (Needham, Mass.) that sailed just over the top of the goal in the 53rd minute, however, neither team was able to score the go-ahead goal and the match headed into overtime.

The first overtime period was rather uneventful, with the Hawks taking the only two shots of the period, including a header that was saved by SRU goalkeeper Kyle Kureczka (Berlin, Conn.).

The match headed to the second and final overtime period where the Seahawks nearly came away with the win. Freshman Jake Weinshank (Chapel Hill, N.C.) was set up in the box off a corner kick in the 105th minute and drilled a shot on net which the Roger Williams goalie had no chance to stop. However, the shot was turned away by a member of the Hawks' defense to preserve the tie.

The Seahawks had one last chance in the 106th minute when senior Sean McAllister (North Arlington, N.J.) drilled a free kick on net which was saved by RWU goalkeeper Jon Pelloso (Wilbraham, Mass.).

Both teams will return to action on Saturday, with the Hawks hosting Gordon at 12:30 p.m. and the Seahawks hitting the road to face Curry at 1:30 p.m.