SEAHAWK MEN'S SOCCER RESULTS
Salve Regina 1, Wentworth 1 [2OT]
Newport, R.I. - Reynolds Field
Sunday, October 1, 2017
A pair of backup goalkeepers forged a 1-1 draw for their respective teams as Salve Regina University senior Evan Coose (Easton, Mass.) and Wentworth Institute of Technology sophomore Philip Chomicki (Dorchester, Mass.) both ran their personal record to 1-0-1 after the Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) men's soccer match at Reynolds Field today.
Series and Streaks
The Seahawks and Leopards tied for the third time in 39 all-time meetings. Salve Regina leads the overall series, 21-15-3, while Wentworth had won the previous four meetings.
Three Stars of the Game
- Salve Regina freshman Casey Kelly (Waldwick, N.J.) kept the pressure off his senior keeper with a dominant performance from left back.
- Salve Regina senior PJ Criscione (Boxford, Mass.) scored his first goal of 2017 to give the Seahawks a 1-0 lead in the ninth minute.
- Wentworth senior Emmett Basaca (San Diego, Calif.) took every corner kick for the Leopards and assisted on the game-tying goal with a long pass from midfield.
Key Stat of the Game
Wentworth limited Salve Regina to one shot in the overtime periods.
Seahawks put a pair of balls in back of the net in each half, but each time they were whistled for offsides.
- Salve Regina still seeks its first CCC win after falling to Curry and Western New England on the road.
- Today's match had been re-scheduled from yesterday with a forecast of lightning in Newport.
- The Seahawks secured their second 1-1 double-overtime draw of the season (first at Coast Guard on Sept. 19).
- Criscione's goal was the second of his career; scored his first last season in a 3-2 win at Mitchell College (Oct. 12, 2016).
- Evan Coose finished with six saves while Philip Chomocki had five stops.
Salve Regina (5-3-2, 0-2-1 CCC) - plays at Dean College on Wednesday, October 4 (4 p.m.).
Wentworth (4-6-1, 1-1-1 CCC) - hosts WPI on Tuesday, October 3 (7 p.m.)