SEAHAWK MEN'S SOCCER RESULTS
Salve Regina 3, U. of New England 2
Middletown, R.I. - Gaudet Field
Sunday, October 15, 2017
Sophomore midfielder Donald Igo (Needham, Mass.) scored two goals in the second half to power the Salve Regina University men's soccer team past the University of New England in a Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) matchup.
Series and Streaks
Salve Regina leads the all-time series, 14-4-1, with the lone draw coming in 2016 at Biddeford, Maine (0-0 in double overtime). The Seahawks' current seven-game unbeaten streak ranks second behind an eight-game win streak in 2012.
Three Stars of the Game
- Salve Regina sophomore Donald Igo scored in the 53th and 74th to give the Seahawks the final 3-2 edge.
- UNE junior Lee Esposito (Niskayuna, N.Y.) scored twice for the visitors in the span of 1:28 in the first half to give the Nor'easters a 2-1 lead.
- Salve Regina junior Connor Woods (Otisville, N.Y.) opened the scoring with a strike in the 14th to give the Seahawks a 1-0 lead early.
Key Stat of the Game
The Seahawks held a 20-17 shot advantage and a 7-1 edge in corners.
Richie Liester (Navesink, N.J.) drove the ball from the right side towards the goal and it twisted away from the Nor'easters keeper and found the foot of Donald Igo who burried a point blank look to knot the game 2-2. Later the Seahawks were awarded a free-kick from outside the 18. Evan MacDonald (Candia, N.H.) faked a kick, then Igo launched the ball to the net, tucking it inside the left post for a 3-2 Seahawks lead.
- The Nor'easters had a free-kick in the final minute, deep inside Seahawks territory but could not get a quality shot on net, and the Seahawks effectively ran off the remaining time in the game to secure the win.
- Both keepers made six saves. Michael Payan (Fort Lee, N.J.) improves to 8-3-1 in net for Salve Regina while Nathan Delesdernier (Niantic, Conn.) falls to 2-7-0 for UNE.
Salve Regina (9-3-3, 3-2-1 CCC) - plays at Nichols on Tuesday, October 17 (3 p.m.) in another CCC matchup.
U. of New England (2-13-0, 1-5-0 CCC) - hosts Curry on Wednesday, October 18 (4 p.m.).