NEWPORT, R.I. - Salve Regina University men's tennis swept three doubles matches from Wentworth Institute of Technology and defeated the Leopards, 6-3, in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action today in Newport.
Freshmen Mike Gallerani (Fairfield, Conn.) and Malcolm Marshall (Topsham, Maine) put the first point on the board with an 8-0 score at No. 3 doubles. The other two doubles victories came a lot tougher.
Senior co-captain Zachary Rosenfeld (Easton, Conn.), playing in his last regular season home match, paired with junior Aaron Isch (Tolland, Conn.) for a 9-7 win at No. 1 doubles. It marked the third straight CCC doubles win for the Seahawk pair who improved to 4-3 in the league at the top spot. Juniors Colin Gunning (Norwell, Mass.) and Kenneth McCormack (Falmouth, Mass.) made it a sweep with an 8-6 win at No. 2 doubles.
All six singles matches were decided in straight sets. Wentworth got its first point from No. 1 singles player Juan Rodriguez (Quito, Ecuador) who improved to 5-1 at that position on the season (his only defeat came at the hands of Austin Steelman of Eastern Nazarene).
Gallerani and Marshall cruised to victories at Nos. 5 and 6, respectively, to clinch the team match for Salve Regina. Isch added his team-leading ninth singles victory with a 6-2,6-2 score at No. 2.
Leopard senior Nate Gove (Scarborough, Maine) survived a close first set with McCormack at No. 3 singles before finishing with a 6-2 score in the second set for the win. Freshman Dylan Melnik (Wake Forest, N.C.) outshot Gunning with a 6-3,6-4 score.
The Seahawk victory puts Salve Regina in the driver's seat for a playoff spot with one match remaining, at Western New England on Saturday. Meanwhile, the Leopards need victories in both of their final two matches (two of the top three teams in the league) to have a chance at a playoff berth.
Tennis Match Results
Wentworth vs Salve Regina
04/17/12 at Newport, R.I.
(Leroy Avenue courts)
Salve Regina 6, Wentworth 3
1. Juan Rodriguez (WIT) def. Zachary Rosenfeld (SRU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Aaron Isch (SRU) def. Joe Centola (WIT) 6-2, 6-2
3. Nate Gove (WIT) def. Kenneth McCormack (SRU) 7-5, 6-2
4. Dylan Melnik (WIT) def. Colin Gunning (SRU) 6-3, 6-4
5. Mike Gallerani (SRU) def. Andy Chen (WIT) 6-0, 6-1
6. Malcolm Marshall (SRU) def. Matt Levine (WIT) 6-1, 6-2
1. Aaron Isch/Zachary Rosenfeld (SRU) def. Nate Gove/Juan Rodriguez (WIT) 9-7
2. Colin Gunning/Kenneth McCormack (SRU) def. Joe Centola/Dylan Melnik (WIT) 8-6
3. Mike Gallerani/Malcolm Marshall (SRU) def. Andy Chen/Matt Levine (WIT) 8-0
Wentworth 4-5; 2-4 CCC
Salve Regina 4-13; 3-4 CCC
Official: William Kates T-2:56 A-24