Seahawks conclude regular season and qualify for playoffs
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - Western New England University men's tennis defeated Salve Regina University, 6-3, in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action. It was the final regular season match for the Seahawks who, despite the loss, earned the final seed in the upcoming league championships.
Salve Regina, with more league crowns (15) than any other conference school, earned a doubles win with its No. 1 pair - Aaron Isch (Tolland, Conn.) and Zachary Rosenfeld (Easton, Conn.). The co-captains won their fifth straight match at the top spot, 8-6.
Western New England, which earned the tiebreak for the conference's fifth seed, took Nos. 2 and 3 doubles while only dropping one game.
In singles action, Isch won his fifth straight match at No. 2, each coming in straight sets. Freshman Malcolm Marshall (Topsham, Maine) won for the fifth time in six matches at No. 6 (6-4,6-1) over Tyler Unwin.
Western New Eng. 6, Salve Regina 3
04/21/12 at Springfield, Mass.
1. Chris Holzinger (WNE) def. Zachary Rosenfeld (SRU) 6-2, 0-6, 7-5
2. Aaron Isch (SRU) def. JonPaul Ouellette (WNE) 6-3, 6-3
3. Shawn Fitzpatrick (WNE) def. Colin Gunning (SRU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Greg Tischofer (WNE) def. Kenneth McCormack (SRU) 6-0, 6-1
5. Peter Lefrancois (WNE) def. Mike Gallerani (SRU) 7-5, 6-1
6. Malcolm Marshall (SRU) def. Tyler Unwin (WNE) 6-4, 6-1
1. Zachary Rosenfeld/Aaron Isch (SRU) def. Chris Holzinger/Peter Lefrancois (WNE) 8-6
2. Shawn Fitzpatrick/John Mindek (WNE) def. Colin Gunning/Kenneth McCormack (SRU) 8-0
3. JonPaul Ouellette/Peter Nassar (WNE) def. Mike Gallerani/Malcolm Marshall (SRU) 8-1
Salve Regina 4-14, 3-5 CCC
Western New Eng. 7-7, 4-3 CCC