Seahawk season ends at Eastern Nazarene
QUINCY, Mass. - All-league doubles performers Aaron Isch (Tolland, Conn.) and Zachary Rosenfeld (Easton, Conn.) gave Salve Regina its only point in a 5-1 Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) Men's Tennis Championships quarterfinal loss to Eastern Nazarene College.
Brandon Lum (Great Neck, N.Y.) and Nick Thompson (York, Pa.) got the ball rolling for Eastern Nazarene, taking the No. 3 doubles match from SRU's Mike Gallerani (Fairfield, Conn.) and Malcolm Marshall (Topsham, Maine), 8-3.
Next to finish were the number two pairs, where ENC collected its second point of the afternoon with an 8-4 victory from Sam-Squared (McKay-Corkum and Son) which featured some fancy shots and fake-outs.
Salve Regina's duo of Zach Rosenfeld (Easton, Conn.) and Aaron Isch (Tolland, Conn.) fought back in the No. 1 match, coming back from a 3-0 deficit to claim a hard fought 8-6 point over Eastern Nazarene's Austin Steelman (Darlington, Md.) and Eric Johnson (Kingston, Mass.) and bringing the match score to 2-1 after doubles play.
Needing three more points to earn the win, the Lions singles' players came alive. McKay-Corkum snagged the first point at No. 3 with a decisive 6-0, 6-0 performance against the Seahawks' Ken McCormack (Falmouth, Mass.).
Not to be outdone by his freshman counterpart and doubles teammate, Son finished next, defeating SRU's Colin Gunning (Norwell, Mass.) by the same shut-out score at number four.
Johnson capped the day for ENC, besting Gallerani in the fifth singles competition, 6-4, 6-2, to give his squad the 5-1 quarterfinal victory.
Eastern Nazarene heads to second-seeded Roger Williams to face the Hawks in the CCC Semifinal round on Wednesday, May 2 at 3:00 p.m.
Courtesy of ENC Sports Information
Tennis Match Results
Salve Regina vs Eastern Nazarene
04/28/12 at Quincy, Mass.
Eastern Nazarene 5, Salve Regina 1
1. Austin Steelman (ENC) vs. Zachary Rosenfeld (SRU) 6-3, 2-4, unfinished
2. Brandon Lum (ENC) vs. Aaron Isch (SRU) 2-6, 2-1, unfinished
3. Sam McKay-Corkum (ENC) def. Kenneth McCormack (SRU) 6-0, 6-0
4. Sam Son (ENC) def. Colin Gunning (SRU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Eric Johnson (ENC) def. Mike Gallerani (SRU) 6-4, 6-2
6. Tyler Perron (ENC) vs. Malcolm Marshall (SRU) 2-3, unfinished
1. Aaron Isch/Zachary Rosenfeld (SRU) def. Eric Johnson/Austin Steelman (ENC) 8-6
2. Sam Son/Sam McKay-Corkum (ENC) def. Kenneth McCormack/Colin Gunning (SRU) 8-4
3. Nick Thompson/Brandon Lum (ENC) def. Mike Gallerani/Malcolm Marshall (SRU) 8-3
Salve Regina 4-15
Eastern Nazarene 14-7
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (,3,4,5)