NEWPORT, R.I. - Salve Regina University senior Aaron Isch (Tolland, Conn.) came the closest to earning a match victory, but visiting Clark University men's tennis improved to 3-1 with a 9-0 win over the Seahawks in non-league action.
At 5-5 in the first set at No. 1 singles, Isch held serve and then broke against his opponent's serve for a 7-5 score. Dan Stein (Newton, Mass.) rebounded for a 6-1 score in the second set and, with the team match in hand, the players decided the third set with a 10-point tiebreak. Stein had an 8-4 lead on the second changeover of the tiebreak and split the next four points for the final decision in a 9-0 victory.
The Cougars' No. 2 doubles pair - Dan Hall (Sutton, Mass.) and Harris Rollinger (Lexington, Mass.) started the day with an 8-0 triumph. At No. 3 doubles, Scott Cabell (West Hartford, Conn.) and Phillip Porter (Cortland Manor, N.Y.) took their match by the same score.
Isch and Colin Gunning (Norwell, Mass.) managed a game in their loss at No. 1 doubles to Diego Angel (Lima, Peru) and Fernando Pinoargote (Guayaquil, Ecuador). Pinoargote was the only Cougar working double-duty as he scored a 6-0,6-2 victory at fourth singles.
Tennis Match Results
Clark (Mass.) vs Salve Regina
09/23/12 at Newport, R.I.
(Leroy Avenue courts)
Clark (Mass.) 9, Salve Regina 0
1. Dan Stein (CU) def. Aaron Isch (SRU) 5-7, 6-1, 1-0 (10-6)
2. Antoine Martin (CU) def. Colin Gunning (SRU) 6-0, 6-0
3. Josh Burger (CU) def. Khoa Nguyen (SRU) 6-0, 6-1
4. Fernando Pinoargote (CU) def. Monaf Awwa (SRU) 6-0, 6-2
5. Joel Simonson (CU) def. Kenneth McCormack (SRU) 6-1, 6-0
6. Spencer Brightman (CU) def. James Diamantopoulos (SRU) 6-2, 6-2
1. Diego Angel/Fernando Pinoargote (CU) def. Colin Gunning/Aaron Isch (SRU) 8-1
2. Dan Hall/Harris Rollinger (CU) def. James Diamantopoulos/Kenneth McCormack (SRU) 8-0
3. Scott Cabell/Phillip Porter (CU) def. Monaf Awwa/Khoa Nguyen (SRU) 8-0
Clark (Mass.) 3-1
Salve Regina 0-1
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (2,4,3,5,6,1)
Official: Self-officiated T-2:19 A-36