SEAHAWK SOFTBALL RESULTS
 Salve Regina 2, Roger Williams 1 (eight innings)
 Salve Regina 8, Roger Williams 7
Toppa Field - Newport, R.I.
Wednesday, April 12, 2017
NEWPORT, R.I. - Salve Regina University softball, defending Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) champions, improved to 10-0 in league play with a doubleheader sweep of Roger Williams University at Toppa Field in Newport. The Seahawks took the opener 2-1 in eight innings, and then held on for an 8-7 victory in the nightcap.
Salve Regina (15-8, 10-0 CCC) has won eight straight; starting pitcher Kelsey Boarman (No. Dighton, Mass.) improved to 10-3 on the season and notched career victory No. 37 to tie for fourth all-time on the school's record book (with Erin Larrivee, 2001-04). Boarman got the save in the nightcap when she closed out the victory for starter Kaleigh Dwyer (East Brunswick, N.J.) who improved to 4-4 on the season.
Roger Williams (16-13, 8-4 CCC) slipped to third place in the league following the sweep.
Series and Streaks
Salve Regina has won four of the last five meetings, including a conference championship meeting last May in Springfield, and now leads the all-time series, 39-35.
Three Stars of the Day
- Roger Williams senior Julianne Vesce (Mahwah, N.J.) had five hits in eight at bats with two doubles and two runs batted in.
- Salve Regina senior Lexi Soucie (No. Easton, Mass.) finished three-for-six with a run scored and an RBI in the twinbill. She led off the bottom of the fifth inning in Game One with a bunt single and a headfirst slide into first base before scoring the game-tying run on a sacrifice fly by Elizabeth Lombardo (Thomaston, Conn.).
- Salve Regina senior Kelsey Boarman (No. Dighton, Mass.) pitched a complete-game victory in Game One, allowing just a first-inning run to the Hawks, and finished off Game Two with a two-inning save.
Key Stat of the Day
In Game Two, Salve Regina scored four times in the first and twice in the fourth, but left the bases loaded at the end of both innings (15 LOB for the two games).
In the Seahawk fifth inning of Game One, Lexi Soucie led off with a bunt single and a headfirst slide at the first base bag. A groundout moved her to second before Francesca Galeazzi (Lynn, Mass.) reached first in the same fashion on a slash to second base. Galeazzi stole second before Lombardo's sacrifice fly brought home the first Seahawk run of the day.
Roger Williams, which put its only run on the board in the opening frame of Game One, scored twice in the first inning of Game Two, but the Seahawks put four on the board in the bottom of the frame including the last three after a Hawk miscue.
- Salve Regina has won 14 of its last 15 at Toppa Field.
- Seahawks won in extra innings for first time in 2017; previously lost in eight innings against Bethany (March 16) and UMass Boston (April 3).
- Salve Regina bests its longest win streak of last season (seven games - April 20-25, 2016).
- Four Seahawks had multiple hits in Game Two - Elizabeth Lombardo (Thomaston, Conn.), Amanda Riley (Barrington, N.H.), Kara O'Riley (Acton, Mass.), and Lindsay Florent (New Bedfrod, Mass.).
- Haley Ledbetter (Westerly, R.I.) had three runs batted in in the nightcap - a first-inning triple, and two sacrifice flies.
- After its own eight-game win streak, Roger Williams has lost four of its last seven.
"We've put ourselves in a nice position. Coming back in Game One and multiple times in Game Two, our offense keeps scrapping for runs. Another two big games in Biddeford tomorrow." - Salve Regina first-year head coach Jannelle Iaquinto
Salve Regina (15-8, 10-0 CCC) - Thursday, April 13 at University of New England [DH], 12 p.m.
Roger Williams (16-13, 8-4 CCC) - Thursday, April 13 versus Johnson and Wales, 4 p.m.