SEAHAWK SOFTBALL RESULTS
 Salve Regina 4, Eastern Conn. St. 3
 Eastern Conn. St. 4, Salve Regina 2
Toppa Field - Newport, R.I.
Thursday, April 20, 2017
NEWPORT, R.I. - Sophomore third baseman Elizabeth Lombardo (Thomaston, Conn.) struck a run-scoring double to right field in the bottom of the seventh inning of Game One as Salve Regina University softball walked off with a 4-3 victory over Eastern Connecticut State University. The Warriors (9-19) took the nightcap, 4-2, over the Seahawks (18-11) to salvage a split in the non-league doubleheader.
Series and Streaks
Salve Regina won for the first time in this series since 2007, and ended an Eastern Connecticut State win streak in the series at 10 games. The Warriors still hold a 17-4 advantage in the all-time series.
Three Stars of the Day
- Seahawk sophomore Elizabeth Lombardo (Thomaston, Conn.) had five hits (three in the nightcap) including the game-winning hit in the bottom of the seventh of Game One. She drove in four runs, two in each game.
- Warrior senior Kristyn Ryan (Barkhamsted, Conn.) banged out six hits in eight at bats, including three doubles, and drove in the game's first run.
- Warrior junior Jessica Seymour (Barkhamsted, Conn.) finished with three hits in six at bats, and tracked down several would be run-scoring line drives off the bats of Seahawks.
- Eastern Connecticut State scored a run in the first two innings of Game One, and the first inning of Game Two.
- Salve Regina Game One starter Kaleigh Dwyer (East Brunswick, N.J.) walked four Warriors in her complete-game victory; three of the free passes came around to score.
- ECSU starter Morgan Sanson (Thomaston, Conn.) got through the first nine Salve Regina batters without allowing a hit; with two outs in the bottonmof the third, Francesca Galeazzi (Lynn, Mass.) slapped a single to left, stole second, and came home on Lombardo's single. Lombardo scored the tying run (2-2) on a double by Emily Woznick (Sandy Hook, Conn.).
- Salve Regina senior Kara O'Riley (Acton, Mass.) stroked a two-out, game-tying single in the fifth inning.
- Freshman Allie Gusmano (Orange, Conn.) led off the seventh with a single to left field before Galeazzi re-entered as the runner. A wild pitch put her on second and Lombardo fouled a pitch off before lining the double to right.
- Salve Regina Game Two starter Lindsay DelGrego (Wallingford, Conn.) issued a first-inning walk which came home to score the first run of that game; Valentine had the two-out bloop single to left.
- Lombardo tied Game Two with a two-out third-inning single after Holly Kathios (Pelham, N.H.) led off the frame with a single to left.
- The Warriors scored their first runs without benefit of a walk in the fourth and fifth innings on RBI basehits from Samantha Bardos (Norwalk, Conn.) and Teresa Marchetti (Orange, Conn.).
- Jackie Lewis (Mystic, Conn.) drove in an insurance run in the Warrior seventh, before Lombardo's bunt single scored Lindsey Florent (New Bedford, Mass.).
- Samantha Valentine (Ridge, N.Y.) picked up the win in relief (4-6).
Salve Regina (18-11) plays at Eastern Nazarene on Fri., April 21 (3 p.m.) while Eastern Connecticut State (9-19) plays at Keene State on Sat., April 22 (1 p.m.)