|DECEMBER 4 | 5:30 p.m.
RODGERS RECREATION CENTER • NEWPORT, R.I.
ROGER WILLIAMS HAWKS
(2-5, 0-1 CCC)
NEWPORT, R.I. - The Salve Regina University women's basketball team hosts Roger Williams University at 5:30 p.m. at the Rodgers Recreation Center in Newport, R.I., on Tuesday, December 4, in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action.
Stay up-to-date with all the latest news and notes on Salve Regina athletics by connecting with the Seahawks on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Be sure to use the hashtag #goSeahawks for an insider's look at Salve Regina's teams and student-athletes.
LAST TIME OUT
NEWPORT, R.I. - Salve Regina University women's basketball made eight 3-pointers including four by senior Kerri Beland (Attleboro, Mass.) and three by junior Torie Scorpio (Cranston, R.I.) and the Seahawks won their first home game of the season, 71-60, over visiting Bridgewater State University at the Rodgers Recreation Center.
MORE READING: Salve Regina women's basketball triumphs at home, 71-60
SEAHAWKS NOTES FROM THE NEST
- Seniors Kerri Beland and Liv Pierce are serving as captains for head coach Cori Hughes in her 12th season.
- The Seahawks shot a season-high 47.1 percent for 3-pointers on Saturday (8-for-17).
- Salve Regina had a three-game streak of 40 rebounds or more end on Saturday against the Bears (30 boards).
- Torie Scorpio (14.9 ppg) and Kerri Beland (10.9) lead the Seahawks in scoring.
- Beland also leads Salve Regina in rebounding (8.0 boards per game).
- Mary Rorke leads the Seahawks with 15 3-pointers.
- Scorpio has a league-best 51.9 shooting percentage from 3-point range.
- Roger Williams has lost four straight including its first two Comonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) contests - at Western New England, 54-52; versus University of New England, 61-56.
- Sam Leone (12.7 ppg), Gabby Jerahian (12.3), and Sam Mancinelli (10.4) lead the Hawks in scoring.
- Karli Opalka tops Roger Williams with 7.0 rebounds per game.
- Sam Leone, Gabby Jerahian, Alyssa Grant, and Sam Mancinelli have started all seven games for Roger Williams.
- It's been four years, nearly five, since Roger Williams lost in Newport (Jan. 25, 2014 - 69-57).
INSIDE THE SERIES
As in-state rivals and charter members of the Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC), these two schools are meeting for the 69th time in women's basketball (since 1984). Salve Regina leads the all-time series, 48-20, but the Hawks have won the last six meetings and eight of the last nine.
Salve Regina plays at Johnson & Wales University on Saturday at 1 p.m.; Roger Williams hosts Connecticut College at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday.