SEAHAWK WOMEN'S BASKETBALL RESULTS
Roger Williams 56, Salve Regina 50
Rodgers Recreation Center - Newport, R.I.
Tuesday, December 4, 2018
NEWPORT, R.I. - Salve Regina University senior Kerri Beland (Attleboro, Mass.) led all players with 19 points, but visiting Roger Williams University held on for a 56-50 victory in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) women's basketball action at the Rodgers Recreation Center on Tuesday evening.
Series and Streaks
As in-state rivals and charter members of the Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC), these two schools met for the 69th time in women's basketball (since 1984). Salve Regina leads the all-time series, 48-21, but the Hawks have won the last seven meetings and nine of the last ten.
Three Stars of the Game
- Roger Williams sophomore Sam Mancinelli (Peabody, Mass.) filled the stat sheet with 12 points, five rebounds, and three assists.
- Salve Regina senior Kerri Beland (Attleboro, Mass.) led all players with 19 points on 9-of-17 from the floor, one 3-pointer. She also had seven rebounds.
- Roger Williams junior Sam Leone (Ashland, Mass.) added 13 points for the visitors with five rebounds.
Key Stat of the Game
Salve Regina struggled from long range (1-for-10 on 3-pointers).
From the last two minutes of the third quarter to the first two-plus minutes of the fourth, Salve Regina had a 12-0 run to close its largest deficit (39-26) to one point (39-38). Roger Williams responded with a 7-0 run. Beland's layup at 1:50 in the fourth made it a two-point game (48-46), but Gabby Jerahian (Quincy, Mass.) had a fastbreak layup and Leone followed with a 3-pointer. The Seahawks had layups from Tara Burke (Londonderry, N.H.) and Torie Scorpio (Cranston, R.I.) with under a minute to play before the visitors finished the scoring with three free throws.
- Seahawks committed 10 more personal fouls (22-12) than the Hawks.
- Freshman center Emily Yonych (Cheshire, Conn.) led all players with 10 rebounds.
- Tara Burke finished with 10 points and a team-high nine rebounds for the Seahawks.
- Salve Regina outrebounded Roger Williams, 44-39.
- Roger Williams never trailed.
Salve Regina plays at Johnson & Wales University on Saturday at 1 p.m.; Roger Williams hosts Connecticut College at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday.