Seahawks hold on for 2-2 tie with Polar Bears

Chiuccariello led all players with two points, assisting on both of Salve Regina's goals
Chiuccariello led all players with two points, assisting on both of Salve Regina's goals

MIDDLETOWN, R.I. – The Salve Regina University women's ice hockey team allowed a 2-0 third period lead to slip away before salvaging a 2-2 tie versus Bowdoin College at St. Gorge's Ice Rink on Friday night. The draw moves the Seahawks to 3-3-2 on the year, while the Polar Bears go to 1-2-2 overall.

Freshman Michaela Chiuccariello (Winchester, Mass.) led all players with two points on the night, dishing out a pair of helpers for the Seahawks, while junior Sarah McCusker (Havertown, Pa.) and freshman Taylor Shepherd (Quincy, Mass.) each scored goals for Salve Regina. Senior goaltender Rebecca Simmons (Averill Park, N.Y.) evened her record to 2-2-2 on the season by making 34 saves in net.

The Polar Bears received goals from juniors Kenzie Novak (St. Cloud, Minn.) and Kayte Holtz (New Berlin, Wis.), while junior Stephanie Ludy (Shrewsbury, Mass.), senior Al Chlebeck (Mendota Heights, Minn.), and senior Dominque Lozzi (Reading, Mass.) each had a helper on the night. Making her first start of the season in net for the Polar Bears, junior Kayla Lessard (Enfield, Conn.) stopped 17-of-19 shots to earn the draw.

The two teams skated to a scoreless first period, with the Polar Bears outshooting Salve Regina by a 12-5 margin. The Seahawks were 0-for-3 on the power play during the opening frame, while the Polar Bears were unsuccessful during their lone power play opportunity.

The Seahawks struck early in the second period, as Chiuccariello set up McCusker for the game's first goal just 1:31 into the frame. Chiuccariello drilled a shot off the post before McCusker swooped in to collect the rebound and slap the puck into the back of the net to give the Seahawks a 1-0 advantage.

The Seahawks extended their lead to 2-0 in the third period, as Shepherd took a feed from Chiuccariello and beat the Bowdoin goaltender on a fast break at the 4:40 mark.

The Polar Bears answered just 21 seconds later, as Novak cut the Seahawk lead in half off assists from Ludy and Chlebeck.

Less than a minute and a half later, the Polar Bears received a game-tying goal by Holtz, which eventually sent the game into overtime.

The two teams combined for just five shots during the overtime period, as neither club was able to score, both having to settle for a 2-2 tie.

The Polar Bears will be back in action on Saturday, traveling to face #2 Norwich at 7 p.m., while the Seahawks return to the ice on Sunday, hosting Connecticut College at the Portsmouth Abbey Ice Rink at 5 p.m. in their last contest before heading into the winter break.