BEVERLY, Mass. – The No. 7 nationally ranked Endicott women's ice hockey team started the new year on a high note with a 4-2 victory over Salve Regina on Saturday afternoon at the Raymond J. Bourque Arena.
Neither team was able to find the back of the net in the first period but the second period made up for it with a flurry of five goals, four from Endicott and one from Salve Regina.
Teneal Perry (Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada) netted the first and second goals of the game to give the Gulls a 2-0 lead just under four minutes into the second period.
However, the Seahawks responded with a tally from Meredith Peppes (Lincoln, R.I.) to cut that lead in half.
Lexi Klein (Shoreview, Minn.) got on the board halfway through the period to make the score 3-1 in favor of the Gulls.
Rounding out the scoring in the second frame was Ashlie Jones (Billerica, Mass.), who netted her third goal of the season with under 30 seconds remaining.
Salve Regina's Taylor Chisholm (Discovery Bay, Calif.) scored late in the third period to cut the deficit to 4-2, but the Gulls were able to halt any further scoring opportunities to skate away with the win.
Vendela Jonsson (Linkoping, Sweden) made 24 saves in net for Endicott to improve to 9-0-1 on the season.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Rachel Lustenring (Poughkeepsie, N.Y.) recorded two assists for the Gulls throughout the game, while Klein, Michaela McNamara (Warwick, R.I.), Lauren Ferraiuolo (North Haven, Conn.), Caroline Hughes (Andover, Mass.), and Ellen Carter (Roseville, Minn.) each tallied one.
- Klein had a team-high 10 shots.
- Endicott was 1-for-5 on the power play, while Salve Regina was 0-for-3.
- The Gulls held a 52-26 shot advantage.
- Endicott is 4-0-1 in the all-time series against Salve Regina.
FOR THE SEAHAWKS
- Jennifer O'Connell (Marstons Mills, Mass.) shifted to 2-13-0 on the season and recorded 48 saves in net.
- Caroline Prezioso (Trumbull, Conn.) assisted on Peppes' goal.
- Chisholm had a game-leading 15 faceoff wins.
- Amanda Fantasia (Billerica, Mass.) and Chisholm each recorded four shots.
- The Seahawks won the faceoff matchup, 31-26.
No. 7 Endicott (12-0-1) hosts New England College on Friday, January 12 at 3:00 p.m for a nonconference matchup. Salve Regina (2-13-0) travels to Johnson & Wales (R.I.) for a 6:55 p.m. contest on Friday, January 12.