SEAHAWK WOMEN'S ICE HOCKEY RESULTS
Salve Regina 2, U. of New England 1
St. George's Howard Rink - Middletown, R.I.
Friday, February 2, 2018
MIDDLETOWN, R.I. - Salve Regina University women's ice hockey earned its third win of the season and second of the year over University of New England with a 2-1 final at the St. George's Howard Rink in New England Hockey Conference (NEHC) action on Friday night. After a scoreless first period, Salve Regina capitalized on its third power-play opportunity of the night with sophomore Maddy McCann (Westerly, R.I.) slipping in her sixth goal of the season at 1:18 into the second period. Freshman Katie Babineau (Pepperell, Mass.) netted her fourth of the season in the final minute of the middle period to tie the score before the second intermission. Salve Regina sophomore Amanda Fantasia (Billerica, Mass.) scored the game-winner for the Seahawks at the 7:13 mark in the third.
Series and Streaks
Salve Regina leads the all-time series, 4-2-1, including sweeping the season's matchups (3-2 in Biddeford and 2-1 tonight). Seahawks are unbeaten in their last three meetings with the Nor'easters, 2-0-1.
Three Stars of the Game
- Salve Regina sophomore Maddy McCann (Westerly, R.I.) scored the game's first goal on a power play that carried over from the first period. She skated along the boards near the benches before lifting a backhand shot into the net.
- Salve Regina sophomore Amanda Fantasia (Billerica, Mass.) scored the game-winner for the Seahawks at the 7:13 mark in the third. Her fifth goal of the season matches her with Meredith Peppes (Lincoln, R.I.) with most goals by a Seahawk defenseman.
- Salve Regina senior Erica Bonnette-Lykens (Swanton, Vt.) recorded several blocks and created transition opportunities for the Seahawks.
Key Stat of the Game
Shots on goal were identical for both teams in the first and third periods (six and five, respectively) while the Seahawks held a six-shot advantage in the middle period, peppering Nor'easter sophomore goaltender Caty Flagg (Methuen, Mass.) with 14 shots.
Before Maddy McCann scored the game's first goal during Salve Regina's third power-play opportunity, Seahawk netminder Jennifer O'Connell (Marstons Mills, Mass.) survived a pair of shorthanded scares by the Nor'easters. The first threat came on a Katie Babineau breakaway that Fantasia and Peppes converged to break up; the second scare came from Michaela McLaughlin (Wilmington, Mass.) with under 35 seconds on the Seahawk power play with O'Connell aggressively coming out of her cage.
- McCann had the first goal for Salve Regina in a Nov. 10 win at Biddeford. The Seahawks entered the second period there trailing 2-0 before winning 3-2 against the Nor'easters. McCann now has six goals on the season and shares the team lead with junior Taylor Chisholm (Discovery Bay, Calif.).
- Jennifer O'Connell finished with 18 saves for her third victory in net for the Seahawks.
- Caty Flagg had 23 saves before emptying her net in the final minute of the game.
- Salve Regina went 1-for-5 on its power play while University of New England were blanked in three opportunities.
Salve Regina (3-18-1, 2-9-0 NEHC) hosts University of Southern Maine tomorrow night at 7 p.m.; prior to the game, the Seahawks will honor their three senior members - Erica Bonnette-Lykens (Swanton, Vt.), Megan Geier (Charleston, Vt.), and Meredith Peppes (Lincoln, R.I.). University of New England (8-7-7, 3-3-5 NEHC) plays at UMass Boston at 1 p.m.