SEAHAWK WOMEN'S SOCCER RESULTS
Roger Williams 2, Salve Regina 1
Newport, R.I. - Reynolds Field
Saturday, October 7, 2017
Visiting Roger Williams University jumped out to a 2-0 first half lead and held on for a 2-1 victory over the Salve Regina University women's soccer team in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action Saturday afternoon.
Series and Streaks
This was the 34th meeting between the two teams. The Hawks now own a 23-6-5 record in the all-time series and have gone 9-1-1 in the last eleven meetings against Salve Regina.
Three Stars of the Game
- Roger Williams senior Samantha Woznicki (Bristol, Conn.) scored the Hawks first goal in the sixth minute.
- Salve Regina junior Abby McMackin (Walpole, Mass.) scored the only goal for the Seahawks with 10 seconds remaining in the first half to make the score 2-1 at the break.
- Roger Williams junior Arianna Delli Carpini (Bedford Hills, N.Y.) scored in the 36th minute to give the Hawks a 2-0 lead. Her goal proved to be the game-winner.
Key Stat of the Game
The Hawks outshot the Seahawks 11-4 in the game and 3-0 in the second half.
Still just a one-score difference late in the game the Hawks controlled things for the final twenty minutes, maintaining possession and seemingly building a wall at midfield that the Seahawks could not crack as they attempted to come back in the match. The Hawks defense did not yield a shot in the second half.
- Carly Pala (Milford, Conn.) made sevens saves in the loss for the Seahawks and falls to 3-7-2 on the season.
- Natalie O'Donovan (Quincy, Mass.) made two stops while improving to 5-5-2 in net for the Hawks.
- The Seahawks held a 2-1 edge in corner kicks.
Salve Regina (4-7-2, 1-2-1 CCC) - plays at Eastern Nazarene on Tuesday, October 10 (4:30 p.m.)
Roger Williams (6-6-2, 3-0-1 CCC) - hosts Curry on Tuesday, October 10 (7 p.m.)