NORTH DARTMOUTH, Mass. - Salve Regina University women's tennis led 4-1 after the first two completed singles matches went in its favor, but UMass Dartmouth rallied for a 5-4 victory in the non-league meeting on the Corsairs home courts.
The Seahawks won two of the three doubles matches with their freshmen pair of Elizabeth DiFilippo (West Chester, Pa.) and Meg Olson (Colchester, Vt.) posting a solid 8-5 score at first doubles. Salve Regina led 4-1 at second doubles but UMass Dartmouth won six straight games and held on for an 8-5 win.
"We picked up a pivotal point with our win at third doubles," said Seahawk head coach Ed Habershaw. Freshman Erica Shay (Concord, Mass.) and senior co-captain Nichol Stevens (Chester, Conn.) rallied from down 6-3 and 7-5 to win the final four games and earn a 9-7 decision.
Stevens then earned the first singles point with a 6-1,6-1 score at first singles. Sophomore Elizabeth Liguori (Westerly, R.I.) won in straight sets at fourth singles to put the Seahawk up 4-1 with four matches remaining. Salve Regina had won the first set at both second and sixth singles.
Angela Pollard (Portsmouth, R.I.) defeated Ana Gwozdz (Taunton, Mass.) 6-2, 6-0 to cut the deficit in half. Junior Liz Girczyc (Attleboro, Mass.) defeated Olson at number six singles, 3-6, 6-2, 6-2, to make it 4-3. At number five singles, freshman Hannah Schulze (Chelmsford, Mass.) downed freshman Erica Shay (Concord, Mass.), 6-2, 6-3. Then senior Courtney Morey (Mashpee, Mass.) won the decisive match, defeating DiFilippo, 1-6, 6-4, 6-4.
"Liz had actually trailed 5-0 in the final set and made a furious rally to pull within one point of tying the set at 5-all," said Habershaw. "Both players fought extremely hard with the conditions darkening quickly."
For host head coach Ralph Perry the win marked his 100th career victory at the helm of the Corsairs.
The Corsairs improved to 6-2 with the victory, while the Seahawks dropped to 6-4 with the defeat. UMass Dartmouth will return to action when it visits Newbury Friday. Salve Regina will host Western New England Friday.
Tennis Match Results
Salve Regina vs UMass Dartmouth
10/06/11 at North Dartmouth, Mass.
(UMD Athletic Complex)
Mass.-Dartmouth 5, Salve Regina 4
1. Nichol Stevens (SRU) def. Nicole Pelletier (UMD) 6-1, 6-1
2. Courtney Morey (UMD) def. Elizabeth DiFilippo (SRU) 1-6, 6-4, 6-4
3. Angela Pollard (UMD) def. Ana Gwozdz (SRU) 6-2, 6-0
4. Elizabeth Liguori (SRU) def. Allison Furtado (UMD) 6-3, 6-3
5. Hannah Schulze (UMD) def. Erica Shay (SRU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Liz Girczyc (UMD) def. Meg Olson (SRU) 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
1. Elizabeth DiFilippo/Meg Olson (SRU) def. Nicole Pelletier/Courtney Morey (UMD) 8-5
2. Angela Pollard/Allison Furtado (UMD) def. Ana Gwozdz/Elizabeth Liguori (SRU) 8-5
3. Nichol Stevens/Erica Shay (SRU) def. Hannah Schulze/Liz Girczyc (UMD) 9-7
Salve Regina 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,4,3,6,5,2)
Official: self-officiated T-3:20 A-100