SEAHAWK FIELD HOCKEY RESULTS
Salve Regina 2, Western New England 0
Gaudet Field - Middletown, Rhode Island
Saturday, September 21, 2019
MIDDLETOWN, R.I. (September 21, 2019) -- Salve Regina University field hockey earned its first Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) victory with a 2-0 decision against visiting Western New England University at Gaudet Field. Sophomore Eliza Timms (Agawam, Mass.) scored the game-winner in the second quarter in the 28th minute, and then added an empty net goal for insurance in the final minute. The Seahawks improve to 5-2 on the season and 1-1 in league play; the Golden Bears drop to 3-3 overall and remain winless in CCC play (0-2).
Series and Streaks
Salve Regina owns a 16-10 mark in the all-time series and the Seahawks have won 13 of the last 16 meetings, and four of the last five with Western New England. Salve Regina avenges a 4-3 setback to Western New England when the Golden Bears last visited Gaudet Field (Sept. 15, 2018).
Three Stars of the Game
- Salve Regina sophomore Eliza Timms (Agawam, Mass.) scored both goals in the victory to raise her league-leading total to 10 on the season.
- Salve Regina freshman Casey Febus (Souderton, Pa.) stopped six shots for her second shutout of the season.
- Salve Regina senior Ashley Cody (Pawling, N.Y.) applied the most pressure with five shots on goal, and assisted on Timms' insurance tally.
Key Stat of the Game
Salve Regina had the edge in shots, 12-7, but Western New England made eight penalty corners including four in the fourth quarter.
- Western New England's three wins in the series since 2011 have been 4-3 final score, twice in Middletown (2016 and 2018).
- Ashley Cody ranks second in goals (eight) behind teammate Timms.
- Casey Febus has posted double-digit saves in both losses this season.
Salve Regina (5-2, 1-1 CCC) plays at University of New England on Friday. The Golden Bears (3-3, 0-2 CCC) return to action on Tuesday when they travel to Wenham, Mass., to face Gordon College.