SEAHAWK MEN'S SOCCER RESULTS
UMass Dartmouth 1, Salve Regina 0
Toppa Field - Newport, R.I.
Wednesday, September 11, 2019
NEWPORT, R.I. - Sophomore keeper Jake Castro (Swansea, Mass.) posted his second consecutive shutout for the UMass Dartmouth men's soccer team as it defeated Salve Regina University 1-0 in non-conference action Wednesday afternoon.
Series and Streaks
UMass leads the all-time series 16-7-3 and has gone 10-1-1 versus Salve Regina in Newport.
Three Stars of the Game
- UMass sophomore Jake Castro made 13 saves to improve to 2-0 between the pipes.
- UMass junior Yorik Sajbin (Fall River, Mass.) scored the game's only goal in the 51st.
- UMass senior Junior Monteiro (New Bedford, Mass.) was integral on the Corsairs goal, helping to set up Sajbin, and notching his team-leading third assist of the season.
The Seahawks had outshot and out-chanced the Corsairs in the first half yet the game remained scoreless. Early in the second half Junior Monteiro received a ball at midfield and was able to ricochet it through a crowd to himself and sprint up the right side. He found Sajbin running by himself down the middle and the junior slipped a shot in for his first of the season to give UMass a 1-0 lead. The Seahawks had plenty of time left in the game to notch the equalizer and finished with a flurry of shots on goal but could not best Casto.
Key Stat of the Game
The game was very physical, with 24 whistled fouls and a yellow card issued.
- Nathan Reid (Magnolia, Del.) made four saves in the loss to fall to 2-1-0 in net for the Seahawks.
- Salve Regina outshot the Corsairs 22-7 and 13-5 in shots on goal.
- The Corsairs have shutout their last two opponents and have not allowed a goal in the last 232 minutes of play.
Salve Regina (2-1-1) hosts UMass Boston on Saturday, September 14, at 3 p.m., in another non-conference matchup. UMass Dartmouth (2-1-0) hosts Framingham at 4 p.m.