SEAHAWK MEN'S SOCCER RESULTS
Salve Regina 1, Roger Williams 1 [2OT]
Reynolds Field - Newport, Rhode Island
Saturday, October 5, 2019
Series and Streaks
Roger Williams leads 22-13-4 all-time, however Salve Regina is 4-1-1 in the last six meetings.
Three Stars of the Game
- Roger Williams senior Edmund Geschickter (Brookline, Mass.) made a season-high 19 saves and is now 5-2-3 in net.
- Salve Regina senior Evan MacDonald (Candia, N.H.) converted a penalty kick goal to knot the game 1-1 in the 83rd.
- Roger Williams senior Michael Oliveira (Waterville, Maine) scored in the 12th minute on the Hawks first shot on goal.
Key Stat of the Game
Salve Regina held a 38-8 shot advantage, 20-5 in shots on goal.
- Seth Wollins (Wake Forest, N.C.) made four saves to fall to 2-1-3 in net for Salve Regina.
- Salve Regina outshot the Hawks 12-2 in the overtime periods.
- Salve Regina has not allowed more than one goal in a game this season.
Quoting the Coach
- Craig O'Rourke II - "It's a tough result for us to accept on the day because we know the overall quality that we produced throughout the match should have netted us a greater prize. We again had the majority of the possession across all three thirds of the field and were able to move the ball the way that we wanted and dictate the flow and course of the match. A simple mistake by a freshman in the first half gave Roger Williams their opportunity and they made the most of it. But I thought we dealt with that adversity and played on the front foot to create a multitude of varied chances throughout the remainder of the match. We had quality chances in close and from outside during dynamic play and we were very dangerous on nearly all of our set pieces. I think we hit the bar three times… once on a corner, once off a rebound, and then Ventura's bending lofted shot. Our penalty came as the result of all of our directed possession and we were able to keep the pressure on them and not allow them to play-out as much as they wanted. Ultimately for us, it's a very similar tale to what we have already experienced this year – a lot of possession and shots but not enough execution in the match-critical moments of the game."
Salve Regina (5-3-3, 1-0-2 CCC) hosts Lasell on October 10. Roger Williams (7-2-3, 2-0-1 CCC) returns to action immediately, traveling to face Wheaton tomorrow, October 6, at 3 p.m.